My work has appeared in…

Tuesday 19 June 2012

My First Quilt (MFQ)


Hexagon quilt top
The quilt top–it only took three years to get to this stage!
Before starting this blog I couldn't decide if it was a good or bad idea to show work that I'm not entirely happy with. Since I generally adhere to the notion that others judge you by your best efforts, a part of me only wants to show what I aspire to, not how things look when they go wrong. Then I thought that this 'high mindedness' rather defeated the intention of my blog, which is to show my progression and share any new tips and techniques I learn as I become a better quilter. Besides, if I wait until I have something to show that I am truly happy with, this could become a dour and very text heavy blog! So, with all this in mind, I thought I'd start by showing the first quilt I ever made, which shall henceforth be known as MFQ (my first quilt).

In the beginning (well, about five years ago actually), egged on by my then boyfriend, I decided to make a patchwork quilt. I have always loved the look of quilts, but back then, hadn't a clue about their construction: terms such as, blocks, fast piecing, foundation piecing and English patchwork didn't feature in my vocabulary. So, I naively decided the simplest thing to do would be to make a king size bedspread with a traditional hexagon flower design! I estimated that my bedspread would require 100 flowers, each comprising 7 hexagons. I assiduously cut out 700 paper hexagons and covered them in 700 various scraps of fabric (I'm not joking!). This repetitive task took about a year by which time my boyfriend was worried I was developing OCD tendencies. A year later, I had sewn all of these individual hexagons into flowers and some of these onto crisp white fabric squares. The problem was, that by then I was getting rather bored of my quilt and losing the will to live.

It was around this time I started a quilting course which completely revolutionised my approach to patchwork, and for a while my hexagons languished, unloved, in a box in a cupboard. Eventually, after a little encouragement from the boyfriend I decided to complete MFQ (albeit a hastily abridged version of the original design). Now, MFQ might not be quite king size–rather more fairy queen size, but at least I have something to put on our bed. MFQ may not feature any fancy quilting either but I did bind the edges with a super technique I learnt on my course, which I'll share with you in another post.

hexagon florets for a patchwork quilt
A few of the remaining hexagon flowers.

The only question remains, is what am I to do with all the left overs? Maybe in another five years I'll have an answer.

PS: The boyfriend is now my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away, I'd love to hear from you!