My work has appeared in…

Friday 6 June 2014

Fabric bombs…

So, I have a fabric bomb ready and waiting to send to a willing recipient. If you'd like to be in with a chance of receiving it, please leave a comment at the end of this post and I'll draw the winner's name out of a hat in a week or so. However, please only leave a comment if you're happy to send your own fabric bomb on to someone else. The idea behind fabric bombing is outlined here, but in short it's part fabric relay race, part lucky dip, that champions creative and individual sewing rather than popular trends. If you like, it's a far less scary version of the part in Masterchef, where contestants have to make a meal in an hour from ingredients they've never seen before–albeit with less tears, angst and split sauces. 

Other advantages of fabric bombing are that it makes use of materials we already have, but perhaps do not use, and it's a one-off commitment so it should be easy to stick to. I'd love to think that we could get a kind of chain reaction going where each of us passes a small parcel of unwanted stash on to someone else to have fun with.


If you want to play along, here's what you do…
  1. The fabric bomber should try to be as creative in their selection of materials, buttons, beads, threads and whatnot, as the recipient will be in their use of them.
  2. The fabric bomb must fit into an A5 envelope, to keep postage costs to a minimum, and to make life easy for the postman.
  3. The recipient can make whatever they like with their fabric bomb–patchwork, toys, bags, collages, doodles, fabric books–anything goes. However, in the spirit of fabric bombing, the packet of scraps should be used creatively, preferably to try out something new, or something you wouldn't usually turn your hand to.
  4. You can add other fabrics to your make, but please don't just incorporate the fabric bomb into an existing make.
  5. You don't have to use every item in the fabric bomb in your make–but it would be great if you could!
  6. It isn't just about getting: once you've received your fabric bomb, please make a bomb of your own to send to someone else. Perhaps photograph the fabric bomb you've received, or the item you make with it. 
  7. Once you've done that, grab the fabric bomb button, post about your make, and prepare a fabric bomb (it must be a surprise, so don't reveal what's inside it) to send to one of your readers, so starting the process all over again.
  8. If you like, you can post pictures of your make on the fabric bomb flikr page (I'll set this up in the next few days). 

If you'd like to join in, but haven't received a fabric bomb, why not start off your own chain reaction? Feel free to grab the button and start your own fabric bomb challenge.

Elizabeth,
x.

11 comments:

  1. Yay! Add my name to the draw!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like fun. Add my name to the draw also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant idea! Would you accept international bombers/bombed? I'm in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Would love to join in too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nesta we should start a European fabric bomb fest, it would be so fun! We'll talk, otherwise I would love to have my "hat" thrown in, so I can be bombed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind I see your in the UK, so it should be no problem to send to Greece or any other EU country, right?

      Delete
  6. We could try making the bombs go around Europe and then (or before) other countries, reducing mailing costs. Reduce posting backwards and forwards across the pond!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I posted about your Fabric Bomb idea here:
    http://ellaandnesta.blogspot.it/2014/06/random-cool-stuff-lots-of-giveaways.html
    Hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like fun - count me in the draw too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi: I'm in Canada. I also discovered that my gmail account had reverted me to no reply. Not sure when that happened so I thought I'd comment again. It should be o.k. now

    ReplyDelete

Comment away, I'd love to hear from you!