My work has appeared in…

Monday 17 June 2013

I think it's time I made a quilt…


















I've got the quilting itch. Okay, maybe not for a conventional quilt, but still a quilt of sorts. I want it to feature: English paper pieced hexagons (my nod to tradition), kantha, drawn thread work, raw edges, hand tied elements, muslin and linen – lots of linen! I want as much of my quilt as possible to be made from existing textiles: pillow cases, napkins, nighties, monogrammed handkerchiefs, and anything else I can lay my mitts on. And I want it to be white, with only the teeniest flashes of colour (like the red telephone box against the snow in the above mood board). The moodboard is a collection of fragments from here and there: exhibits from last year's festival of quilts at the NEC, BooDilly's muslin patchwork–which I just love, some drawn thread work, a quire of deckle edged paper, snow, cracked ice, and a few bits of my own.

There, I've made my declaration, so I'd better make a start and put my words into action. As for the size, I haven't a clue, that's a detail for later, first I need to gather my materials.

Elizabeth,
x.

3 comments:

  1. Oh yes, how lovely! Will be watching:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making a quilt grow step by step without a fixed plan is a very enjoyable quilt journey. I think it will look lovely with all the ingredients you have suggested.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds beautiful already! Love the mosaic adn the colours. Blogging is helpful for commitment I find! We'll look forward to seeing how it progresses!

    ReplyDelete

Comment away, I'd love to hear from you!